Day Eight of our summer break brought us to the Mukwonago Public Library. Since the library is under construction, the temporary location is literally one minute away from our home. I signed both kids up for the kids' summer reading program. Andrew and I checked out several chapter length books. He's really into Nate the Great, Junie B. Jones, and Pokeman books. I LOVE the Junie B. Jones series because this little girl is the female version of Andrew. We read the books in one sitting together. Aveya liked just grabbing books off the shelf, and we found a great book called Up in Heaven, which is about a dog passing away from the DOG's perspective. It's very sweet, and it made me cry.
We also went to the library because I HAD to read the most recent Sweet Valley book. I was in love with all the series of books as a young girl: Sweet Valley Twins, Sweet Valley High, Sweet Valley University....ah, good times. I lived vicariously through the twins, Elizabeth and Jessica. Francine Pascal created the books, and then after a while, she had other writers doing the writing with her characters. Unfortunately, her final book was not the greatest. It's sad to say that her idea was best left written by others. Jessica and Elizabeth were 30 years old in this book, and Jessica talked more like a teeny bopper than she did in the actual high school books. Sooo disappointing. Oh, well! It was fun to be nostalgic.
I also read an awesome book called Unwind by Neal Shusterman. It was fabulous! It had a very morbid topic- parents can choose to "unwind" their children between the ages of 13 and 18. Being unwound means ALL your parts are given away to others. It's basically a way for parents to scare their teens into behaving, and a way to get rid of the ones that refuse to do it. All the main characters in the book were scheduled to be unwound, but they've run away. Again, one of the very best books, EVER. ;o)
No comments:
Post a Comment