This was hell week for me because on Friday I ran the 8th grade Aloha Dance, which I have been planning with my student council kids for the entire school year. It was also the day of the school's student council elections, which I am also responsible for. I should probably back up and mention that I took on student council this year for the first time. Let's just say that I never EVER would have guessed it would take so much time, energy, and stress. I started out with a very small amount of money with the knowledge that I was responsible for the school's juice machine, snack orders, teacher appreciation gifts, and 8th grade dance. Let's just say I had to fundraise a lot and get creative to come up with the money to pay for the dance.

Hell week really started for me on Wednesday morning when the video camera I was using to tape record my students' speeches refused to work. After several failed attempts, I was finally able to record the kids who were running for office. That tape was later aired on the district's television station Friday, where the whole school watched the candidates' speeches and voted. Then on Thursday, my van's windshield wipers decided not to work in the middle of a terrible storm on my way to work. I had to pull over on the expressway because I literally couldn't see. Naturally I also had a ton of groceries that needed to be transported to the school refrigerator, and I was drenched in the process. I sat in cold, wet clothes all day. Thursday after work, I took the school's credit card to go on round two of my shopping for the dance, and the credit card was denied. We apparently have a limit- which was exceeded since so many of us used it that week. I had to pay for it myself. That night, Laura came over to help me cut the fruit. Friday morning, it took me at least 12 trips from the house to the car to get everything ready. Ryan got a tearful tirade by me for not helping at all (he was asleep). In his defense- I didn't ASK for help- I just expected that he would get up and do it. The weather was horribly windy, and by the time I left, I was a sticky, disgusting mess. I cried the whole way to work- gotta love being stressed and pregnant! Then, I get the phone call that my sister-in-law, Lana, was in labor with my nephew. I was so sad because I knew that I wouldn't get to see her that night because of the dance, so I kept my phone next to me all day long to hear how she was. Friday, I worked 16 hours straight- mostly on my feet the whole day. Even during my lunch break I had to run to the office to get checks made out for that night's festivities. Then, the last period of the day, we get a tornado alert, and we have to take the kids into tornado safety areas. This lasted a LONG time. AND- it cut into my vital dance decorating time. Aside from decorating and preparing for the dance, I had to count the ballots for the elections. By the end of the night, I could barely walk anymore. My ankles, feet, and eyes were swollen. Not to mention I was a broken out mess. BUT- I was also a brand new auntie again to Leonardo David Pfister. (Oops- did I spell that right?) He came in weighting 8 lbs, 7 oz and was 20.25 inches long.
Amidst all that whining, I have to say that all it took was the looks on the kids' faces when they walked in. The above picture shows what the place looked like when we were only halfway done. Still missing is the AWESOME balloon arch that my fabulous friends stayed and built for me. I had both boys and girls hug me and thank me for the dance- telling me it was the best dance they have ever been to. Naturally, I felt the need to cry. It took us four hours to decorate, and then we had to tear it all down. Let's just say- that part was not as much fun. When I woke up this morning, I had nasty bags under my eyes, and I could still barely walk. I was supposed to start work at Starfire today for my mother-in-law, and Ryan told me no way- and that HE would go in for me. That made me emotional because I felt like I was disappointing my mother-in-law, but I decided in the end that I need to focus on my new baby who needs me to rest every now and then. NOT that I could- I had to go back work today with my parents to take down the arbor because I couldn't do it alone with Andrew. My parents were wonderful and they helped me clean my trashed classroom while I entered grades into my computerized gradebook. This is my last week of work, and grades are due. So is the Phoenix Star newspaper, which I'm also in charge of. I'll be staying up tonight until I get that done.
Through it all, I have to say thank you to a group of wonderful friends that I have. The dance would not have been as nice without them helping me. So, Amy, Laura, Kristin, Erin, Eric, and Tammy- if you're reading this- I love you and thank you! Here's a pic of the monkey and palm tree that Kristin pumped up for me. :o) I want to post pics of the balloon arch that Amy, Laura, Erin, and Tammy built, but there are kids in it- and I don't want to get sued. Tonight, we went to visit Lana and her new baby. I hogged him the whole time we were there because he was just too adorable not to snuggle. He's a great baby with cute, chubby cheeks and the softest head of dark brown hair. I loved watching Andrew with him. He keeps saying, "I'm going to have one of these pretty soon!" Yes, he is, because today I am 20 weeks! And after snuggling little Leo, I am even more anxious for my new little one to come along! More preggo pics to come. Thanks for reading this LONG winded blog- but I've been a busy girl!
1 comment:
awwww, hun, wish i was there to help!...what a week! you did a great thing for those kids, as i know you do everyday too :) and that's awesome that you have a new nephew!...we need a picture of him! glad he and lana are doing well. hope this week goes a little smoother! love you!
Post a Comment